The information provided in presentations is for guidance only and is no substitute for legal and other professional advice. EMITA does not accept responsibility for the opinions expressed by speakers
To view the presentations from the event, please click here.
* Please note that you have to be an emita member to have access to the presentations.
Please click here to view the flyer (pdf)
Developing and Protecting your Brand Overseas
About the event
Would you like to learn about defining and developing your brand for overseas markets?
Are you aware of the importance of protecting your brand and how to protect it both in the UK and internationally?
Come along to emita’s next seminar ‘Developing and Protecting your Brand Overseas’ to discover the answers to these questions and much more!
The evening will begin with a focus on developing your brand and our guest speaker, David Shanks, will discuss brand essence, the benefit it brings to your business and how some brands don’t travel well. He will provide examples of international brand essence at work in foreign cultures, plus suggest ways to identify and dramatise your company’s unique brand essence. There will be the opportunity to put David’s recommendations into action during the interactive session at the end of his presentation, when you will have the chance to identify an aspect of brand essence for companies in attendance.
The second part of the evening will concentrate on intellectual property, highlighting the important relationship between trade marks and brands. Our expert speaker in this field, Lynne Chave, will explain what intellectual property is; identify which of the rights can be used to protect a brand identity; and outline how you can obtain legal protection for your brand both in the UK and internationally, including the procedures, likely costs and options for licensing.
Taking place on Wednesday 14 October at The Derby Conference Centre, this event will provide you with an invaluable insight into putting brand essence into practice and protecting one of your most valuable business assets.
Prior to the seminar, there will be the opportunity for 30 minute personal meetings with some of our speakers and partners free of charge. The following experts will be on hand to provide you with tips and advice:
- Roythornes Solicitors - To provide legal advice including debt recovery, distribution and manufacturing agreements, international joint ventures and contracts.
- Tenon - To provide advice on all general tax, VAT, and accounting support.
- Barclays - To ensure you are making the most of financial opportunities available.
- Clear Brand Essence - Can help you focus company and brand issues, opportunities and problems into single business propositions for clarity and efficiency.
If you would like to take advantage of this offer and book an appointment with one or all of our specialists, please contact Elizabeth on 0115 947 1767.
17h30 Registration and light refreshments
18h00 Welcome and introduction
18h05 Defining brand essence and its value
David Shanks, Partner, Clear Brand Essence Ltd
- What is brand essence?
- How does it benefit your business?
- Examples of international brand essence at work in foreign cultures
- Ways to identify and dramatise your company’s unique brand essence
18h30 Question and answer session
18h40 Round table discussions
Identify and articulate a brand essence for a company seated at your table
19h10 Feedback from tables
19h25 How to protect your brand overseas?
Lynne Chave, Partner, Urquhart-Dykes & Lord LLP
- What is intellectual property?
- How does intellectual property help to protect your company’s brand?
- How can your business obtain protection in the UK and abroad?
- Where do businesses usually go wrong?
19h50 Question and answer session
20h00 Networking buffet and close